Celebrate Earth’s Essential Minerals In The Treatment Room
Though we may use them on nearly a daily basis, we tend to take for granted some of the quintessential elements the Earth provides us. Many of these (about 25) are actually essential to life and, overtime we’ve discovered how beneficial they are to the skin as well.
What better time to revisit some of these minerals than on Earth Day? Now, as I mentioned, you are likely familiar with many, if not all, of these, but chances are your clients may not know just how essential these minerals are. Earth Day is a great excuse to educate them about minerals and their benefits, and make sure they are getting enough of them in their skin care regimen.
The Essential Elements
As I mentioned there are 25 of the 118 chemical elements on the periodic table that are considered essential to life. In skin care these may be derived from the actual chemical elements themselves or from plant sources. Plants tend to be great sources for minerals, as they receive their nutrients from the Earth’s mineral- and vitamin-rich soil.
As nourishing as these minerals are to plants, they produce a similar benefit to the skin, working to protect, purify, hydrate, and regenerate the skin, as well as regulate the cells.
- Phosphorus – the second most abundant mineral found in the human body, phosphorus is highly beneficial to our cells, aiding in growth, regeneration and protection. It also regulates what goes in and out of each cell. Found in the Beta Green Tea Cleanser from cucumber, P2 Enzyme, from spinach leaf extract, and Blue Agave cleanser sourced from yucca root.)
- Calcium – the most abundant mineral in the body, calcium hydrates, stimulates cell proliferation and tissue repair, and reduces inflammation. Found in the Foaming Peptide Cleanser, Skin Brightening Cleanser, Skin Smoothing Gel, and EnviroProtect.
- Magnesium – magnesium is used for a variety of purposes. Magnesium hydroxide balances the skin’s pH, while magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (MAP) increases the activity of vitamin C, regulates collagen synthesis, and protects the skin from UV damage. Found in the C-Peptide Complex, Papaya Tangerine Enzyme and Mineral Freeze.
- Sulfur – provides strong antibacterial support, cell rejuvenation and healing for oily and acne prone skin. Found in the Perfection Clay, as well as the Beta Green Tea Cleanser from cucumber.
- Iron – found in plants like yucca and other minerals like hematite. It helps strengthen the skin and increase collagen. Found in the eZinc Protection Cream and Mineral Freeze as hematite.
- Zinc Oxide (ZnO) – a natural mineral derived from the Earth’s crust, it acts as a protective and reflective shield for the skin against damaging UV rays. It’s also non-irritating and non-allergenic.Found in the Pumpkin Lotion, Pumpkin Cleanser and Pumpkin Parfait Enzyme from the pumpkin, eZinc Protection Cream, Daytime Defense SPF30, Sheer Tint Finisher, and EnviroProtect.
- Sodium – there are various forms of sodium used in aesthetics, each for a different purpose. Sodium chloride adjusts pH, re-mineralizes, softens, and detoxifies and purifies the skin. Sodium hyaluronate (L) and sodium PCA provide hydration and aid in moisture retention. Other forms of sodium are often used as natural foaming agents in cleansers. Found in the Make-Up Remover,Moisture EyeZyme Treatment, Foaming Peptide, Rosemary Herbal Wash, Zeo Cleanse, and Stone Power.
- Selenium – provides antioxidant support and aides in protecting the skin against free radicals. Found in the Bio Reform 28 from Ilex Paraguariensis (yerba mate) and the Blue Agave cleanser from yucca root.
In honor of Earth Day, take some time to educate clients on the amazing minerals our Earth provides us, make sure they are getting sufficient amounts of these essential minerals in their diets and skin care regimens, and consider getting them involved in fun Earth Day challenges and promotions. This could include specials on mineral-based products or Earth Day treatments, discounts if they ride their bike or walk to their appointment, or planting a tree in their honor if they purchase a particular package, and the list goes on. These can extend through the end of the month, as many around the globe celebrate Earth Month the entire month of April.
Happy Earth Day!
Question: Do you offer any Earth Day specials or fun events at your spa?